Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Casual Calls

It's a hot day both inside and outside, so I ask Corba if she wants to go to the movies with me. She asks me what I want to see and I say I prefer something that I don't have to think about, maybe a dumb, loud action movie. Work's been hell this week, I tell her. Corba sighs and says it's fine. She just wants to get out of the sweltering heat, away from the one-bedroom hotbox without a working air conditioner.

The phone rings, and it's you calling for me. I try to sound casual, but it's so nice to hear from you again. I tell you about my job and the friends you haven't seen in awhile. Corba paces by the front door. I am secretly happy to make her wait.

Then you tell me the reason that you've called me. There was an accident at the research lab you've been working at for several years and your DNA was crossed with that of a prickly bramble bush, gifting you the ability to produce and retract thorns on any part of your body. Your cellular structure has also developed secondary walls, which makes your body practically indestructible. You tell me this is how you evaded the laboratory's security detail and, after that, the military.

Despite the sensational nature of your story, I successfully keep my face expressionless for Corba's benefit. You tell me you've run out of places to hide and ask for my help, which I consider. I really do.

Corba silently mouths that we need to go. I try to sound nonchalant as I ask if you are talking about the campsite from our last anniversary together, the one upstate. I mention it as though you've simply called to ask me where it is. You get my meaning though and tell me you'll meet me there at midnight. I tell you to take care and hang up the phone.

Corba, her face deep with concern, asks me if it was you and what you wanted. I don't answer her. Instead, I pull a black card with white lettering from my wallet, the one they gave me in case you called. I dial the number. Again, Corba asks what you want from me. I smile and tell her not to worry, that you're just looking for a place to replant yourself. She asks me what's so funny as a pleasant voice on the phone begins to give me instructions.


No comments: