Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Crowned Warmbloods

The Crowned Warmbloods control the Vanguard section of town, not that you'd know it by that name. We write the laws there and choose which ones to enforce. Warmbloods protect the Vanguard's citizens and occasionally ask them for favors in return. It's not always an easy position to hold, but I take pride in it. I've never known love like the love I feel for the Crowned Warmbloods. They accepted me out of high school, named me Wisconsin, and gave me a sense of purpose.

One day on patrol by the train station, I recognized an old friend from my basketball days. We hadn't been very close and I hadn't seen him in years, but his sister was a source of many years of infatuation and I thought I'd ask about her. As I began to approach him to say hello, I thought I spied an expression of worry. He saw the Warmblood pendant on my collar before he saw my face.

"Thomas, it's me." I said, half waving.

"I'm sorry," he said, now looking at my face, but still not placing me.

"Darren. Darren Beachwood. We were on Coach Harper's team together back at Delaney."

"Oh, Darren, It's good to see you."

"I'm not surprised you didn't recognize me. It's been years. I don't even go by Darren anymore. It's 'Wisconsin' now."

"Wisconsin...I see." His eyes searched the streets around us.

"I was going to ask you about Beth. How is she?"

"Fine, fine. Married."

"Ah, that's too bad." I smiled and Thomas affected one in return. "I don't suppose that she'd be willing to leave the bum and have some kids with me, huh?"

He barked a quick laugh as a bead of sweat rolled down between his eyebrows. I wasn't sure what he had to be nervous about, but it was becoming clear that he might be a person of interest to the Warmbloods. I nonchalantly placed a hand in my pocket and pressed the alert button on my transmitter.

"I'm just kidding of course," I said. "Warmbloods are actually allowed to marry, though most choose not to. But children are ill-advised in the Vanguard."

Thomas looked at his feet and muttered something.

"I'm sorry?"

"I wouldn't know anything about that." he said. His chin was practically buried in his chest. I let the moment hang there for a few seconds and realized that I was smiling stupidly. I didn't want to let it fade though, in fear that the effect would be menacing.

"Say, I'm not keeping you from catching a train, am I?" I asked.

"No, no. I was going to meet somebody here, but I don't think they've arrived yet."

"Oh? Anybody I might know?"

"No, I don't think so. He's a new friend," Thomas said.

Behind Thomas, Whittier quickly made his way down the street, his Warmblood pendant gleaming in the afternoon light. He slowed and turned sideways as the approach closed in, his motions becoming almost balletic. I love the way Warmbloods move when they are alerted, fast and dangerous. I hope I look the same when I am called to action.

"Oh, that's funny," I said. "Here's one of my new friends."


No comments: